Monday 10 June 2013

ELEANOR AND PARK BOOK REVIEW


FINALLY  had a copy of Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. I've been searching for it forever!


The moment I read the first paragraph, I knew that my emotions while reading this story will only be going downward spiral. I never expected for it to have a happy ending, I expected someone dying, someone very much maltreated, well, expectations broken. 


Eleanor came from a rough family,many siblings, abusive stepdad, irresponsible father, blind mother. Park was spoon fed all his life,
had friends and never experienced anything near Eleanor's condition. 


When they met, they hated each other, and by silent treatment, they have grown fond of each other. 

That's all I could do to describe the story, it doesn't have much in it, but what can I say? The story doesn't much have anything in it itself. While I was reading it, "Flipped" by Wendellin Van Draaned and "Forever" by Judy Blume crossed my mind since the setting of these stories where from the 60s, 80s, it's not your modern book (well, you get what I mean, the story is old, American, young love and all that).

I could differentiate how people live in those times and in the modern times, kids these days are much braver, and while reading this book, I felt frustrated for the part of Eleanor for not being able to stand for herself, for always being afraid, for always being quiet, even though deep inside her rage in boiling in her. 

Like what I said, I never expected for this book to have a happy ending, and I understand if it never did. I couldn't even say that it was a cliffhanger, because there's a finality in it, maybe I think the book is two sentences too short. It was just so frustrating, I never got the answers to my questions since this book has lots of issues, bullying, racism, broken family issues, and all of it was never resolved. 

This could have been a wonderful book, it could have been life changing, it could have been lessons to those issues, but the book it one chapter too short. 

I gave this book 4 out of 5 in my goodreads page, but I think I was being generous, so generous. 

So, I'll amend my ratings, 2.5 out of 5.

SUPERJOLA.BLOGSPOT.COM

1 comment: