Sunday 7 February 2016

TOKYO LOCO 2015

This post is three months too late.

We went to Japan last November, we, meant my mother and I.



Let's start from the beginning, I booked my flight as early as March, I saw a cheap fare from Cebu Pacific, five thousand plus pesos, round trip, Manila to Tokyo, I even had additional baggage allowance and seat in that 5k. I was planning to go with my friend Hanna, I talked to her the day I booked my flight. But she wasn't able to book for herself. So I was planning to go alone, since I have a friend who lives there anyway, in my mind I was thinking, I would be able to travel alone. I haven't told anyone that I was planning to go there alone, except my boyfriend who didn't think I was crazy travelling alone in a foreign country, he's great like that. Weeks passed, mom asked who I was going with to Tokyo. I told her I would be travelling solo, she told me I'm loka loka, she told dad, who also thought I was out of my mind, so they decided to book a flight so mom would come with me. 18k plus for her round trip. 
So the planning starts. 

Bullet points in applying for a tourist visa.
  • you need to book a flight first, no flight ticket, no visa
  • hotel/hostel/bnb booking or reservation
  • application for visa needs (you could visit the website.)
    • passport
    • visa application form (this is where the booking for flight and hotel/hostel/bnb is needed, they need the name, address and contact number)
    • 2x2 photo (I have a story for this one, I smiled on my visa photo, I thought my visa would be denied because of my teeth showing, I was paranoid the whole time while waiting for the arrival of the result of my visa)
    • birth certificate
    • marriage contract (if married)
    • daily schedule in Japan (itinerary on your stay, they have a form in their website, I just made ours simple, like on the first day we would go to Sensoji Temple, Tokyo Skytree and Tokyo Tower)
    • bank certificate
    • income tax return
  • you need to apply 3 months prior your flight
  • we submitted what was only required and nothing more

We applied for visa late August and 4 days later our submission of the required documents, the agency called my mom and told us that our application was approved. 

REASON

Japan is my dream destination. My mom have her own dream place, London, but mine was Japan since I was a teenager. I'm addicted to Jdoramas and Arashi. I've been watching Jdoramas and that's were my fascination started. I'm not studying nihonggo but I could understand some words and sentences. I'm also in love my Sho Sakurai of Arashi. I love him next to my boyfriend, I even told my bf that if we didn't work out, I'll marry Sho instead (I'm crazy, I know).

We only had 4 days in Japan. it's very short I know, but with work and school, I didn't even consider staying for one week, in my mind, it's like vacationing here in the Philippines, that 4 days would suffice, BUT I WAS WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS. 4 days in Tokyo is like visiting 1/6 of Tokyo. 

If I wasn't in love the with Japan before I went there, now I'm a die hard fan, head over heels in love with Japan. Their culture is so rich, the people are so kind, the place is so clean, the weather was wonderful (twas Autumn when we visited), the people are organized, the food was beyond great, the experience is just hard to describe greatness. 


HOTEL

We stayed in a hostel near Tokyo Skytree, the Hotel Hutte (I'll write another article about that one), its walking distance from Tokyo Skytree, Tokyo Salomachi and Oshiage station, you could also walk to Asakusa where the Sensoji Temple is.

TRANSPORTATION

We only took the Tokyo Metro on our whole stay. It is said that taking a taxi costs a lot, so I didn't bother on getting in on one. I have a friend who went to Osaka recently, they walked instead of taking the taxi after the Metro closed at around midnight. So, no, taking a taxi was not an option.

 It can be very confusing using the Subway, there are many lines of trains going to different direction.

So before we leave the PH, I downloaded an app, the Tokyo Metro English which is a picture of the railway system of Tokyo. I studied the system, There are many lines, First is the Toei Line which consists of Asakusa Line, Mita Line, Shinjuku Line and Oedo Line. Then the Tokyo Metro Line, which consists the Ginza Line, Marunochi Line, Hibiya Line, Tozai Line, Chiyoda Line, Yurakucho Line, Hanzomon Line, Namboku Line, Fukutoshi Line.

There is also a different line going to Odaiba. Another Line on the trains going to Narita airport, and of course, the JR Yamanote Line.

Riding a train in Tokyo is very challenging, but you'll feel very accomplished after arriving at your destination.

Tip: It's easier to navigate when you have wifi in you or you checked the schedule beforehand.
Also, make sure that the hotel/hostel/house you are staying is near the train station, very accessible, its easier to travel that way.

Good news: The train stations have wifi! Yay!

The trains are ALWAYS on time. If it says that it will arrive at 8:30 am, then the train will arrive on the dot and leave on the dot.

If you plan on only taking the train the whole day of sightseeing, I advice you buy day pass train ticket which both covered the Toei Line and the Tokyo Metro Line because it's cheaper. Though it doesn't cover the JR Yamanote Line, you need to buy separate ticket for that one. 


FIRST DAY. November 2.

We visited the Tokyo Skytree, the tallest structure in Japan. Tokyo Salomachi is a mall near Skytree.

We had dinner with ate Lanie. it was nice seeing her again after a long time (long means, when I was still a child, say 10 years old)

  
Tokyo at night with a glimpse of Mt. Fuji.

SECOND DAY. November 3

Originally, the plan was to tour with my friend Moses, unfortunately, he had work in the morning and we planned on meeting at noon instead.

November 3 is a national holiday in Japan, Culture day. 

We visited Senso-ji Temple, the oldest buddist temple in Japan. The entrance is Kaminarimon, or the Thunder gate.
Kaminarimon

Passing by Nakamise-dori, it is a street going to the temple, you could buy souvenirs and food. I suggest it would be your last destination in your itinerary, because you don't want to bring the souvenirs your bought with you while you tour the city like we did. We brought a kimono for my daughter, artwork postcards, and other souvenirs. I bought a tea mug, which out cat "accidentally" broke, I'm still mad at the cat.
Nakamise Dori

Five Storey Pagoda

Sensoji Temple

Next stop is Shibuya, we got a little lost when we got to Shibuya station, there were lots of exit.


On our way finding the Hachiko statue, we found a second hand store (I really like ukay-ukay) that didn't look like a second hand store. 

Then the Hachiko statue and the Shibuya Crossing. The Hachiko Statue place was very crowded.

Excuse my forehead.  Hachiko Statue behind me. 


We went to Harajuku Station to meet Moses, then had a late lunch near Takeshita Dori. Takeshita Dori is a street where there are lots of trendy shops, crepe stalls, it is where the Harajuku teenage culture is.

Entrance to Takeshita Dori

Next stop is the Meiji Shrine. It is the place dedicated to Emperor Meiji and Empress Shoken. We went there afternoon near night time. So it was a bit chilly, specially it was surrounded by trees. It was amazing thinking there is such a place at the center of the city. I even did a bit of praying, the throwing of 5 yen, claps twice, bows and prays. It was a bit weird doing that but I'm still glad I did. I only see that in dramas but I was glad doing it for real.

Street going to Meiji Shrine and the Yoyogi Park

Entrance to Meiji Shrine

Meiji Shrine

Last stop for the night is the Tokyo Tower. I was planning on reaching the observatory but mom doesn't want to go anymore, saying we already went to Tokyo Skytree and it has pretty much the same scenery. So, we had dinner there instead. We had ramen. :)
 
Tokyo Tower

We went back to the Hotel and had coffee to finish the night.
Thanks Moses for the tour


THIRD DAY. November 4

On our third day, our feet were a bit sore from walking.


First stop of the day, Koishikawa Korakuen Garden, since mom was dying to see a japanese garden, she said that Japan is also famous for their gardens. The Koishikawa Korakuen Garden is  behind the Tokyo Dome. Its a nice place to spend your down time. What I noticed was that the place caters more to senior citizens. Some seniors have with them their ginourmous cameras, and when I say ginormous, it's like it's bigger than me. It's a very peaceful place, a nice place to have a picnic and enjoy the environment.


Autumn leaves at Koishikawa Korakuen Park


We were lost going to Shinjuku Gyoen Park, it was a pretty and big park. We weren't able to go around the park because we were planning on catching the ferry ride from Asakusa to Odaiba.
Shinjuku Gyoen Park

We went back to Asakusa to catch a ferry to Odaiba. The Tokyo Cruise runs through Sumida River. The station is located near Kaminarimon and the Asakusa Train station. The station was packed with tourists. Chinese, Korean, Americans.
View in front of the Ferry going to Odaiba

While cruising the Sumida River, I even saw the house in Koinaka. I remembered what it looked like because Koinaka was the last drama I watched before going to Japan. It's ost,  Kimi ga kurega Natsu is like one of the soundtracks of my Japan trip alongside with Miyabi Night and Mikazuki by Arashi, all were playing on loop during my travel.

While cruising, I saw the Koinaka House (fangirling)

Sunset while cruising

It was twilight when we arrived at Odaiba Seaside Park. It's a nice place to relax, watch the sunset over the buildings of Tokyo.


Last stop is the Madam Tussauds Tokyo. We were the only ones in the museum, maybe it's because it's already night time. So, we went a little crazy inside, taking pictures with the waxed celebrities. I was a little disappointed, there was no waxed figured of Arashi. :)




FOURTH DAY. November 5

Our last day. We went straight to the airport. Since our flight was in the morning.


Tip: Buy pasalubongs in the airport, it's cheaper there. Unlike here in the Philippines where everything in the airport is more expensive, it's different in Narita. The duty free in Narita is tax free, it's cheaper there, I've learned my lesson when I bought Kitkat in Odaiba which costs 500 yen to 1000yen. You can buy Kitkat matcha in 7/11 in a cheaper price. I bought Kitkat Sakura Matcha in Narita for 1500yen, but it's bigger than the ones I bought in Odaiba.

I bought from Odaiba for 1000yen. 

I bought from Duty free Narita. 1500 yen. This one is bigger than the Kitkat Shinshu Apple








No comments:

Post a Comment