Thursday 30 August 2012

THIRTEEN REASONS WHY BOOK REVIEW

I just finished Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher for about 2 hours ago, and I have the feeling that I need to share what I thought about the book right now. I have been eyeing this book for about some time, I never had the courage to read it before because the idea of suicide really freaks me out because I'm about young adult romance/magical plot kind of reader, but I just can't get away from this book, every time I browse in goodreads on what to read next, I always stumble on this book for some reason and I always read the description and reviews of this book. About a week ago, I talked to my cousin who already have read this book, and she told me, that the book was "okay", and some told her that the book was heavy (with drama I guess), but in her point of view, it was just "okay", not heavy in her opinion. 

So after 2 days of resting my eyes and looking for a book to read (I almost forgot what book I read before TRW, oh it was The Boy who Sneaks in my Bedroom Window), I finally pluck up the courage to read the first few pages of Thirteen Reasons Why yesterday, and I just can't seem to stop. 

The story goes like this, there's this girl named Hannah Baker, she made a bunch of tapes, stating the thirteen reasons why she decided to kill herself. That's the story, that's it.

I haven't really dissected my feelings about this book, but I'm trying.

How to start... I'm thinking, you can't control what other people think of you, and you don't have any control how people reacts with rumors people are spreading about you. I mean it's just rumors, and in this world that we're living in, there are lots of people who will make your life miserable, taunt you, make rumors about you, BUT you need to face them yourself and deal with it because if every person is like Hannah Baker who blames everyone in what her "reputation" is, maybe everyone will commit suicide.Even the most innocent person makes fun off sometimes, I even knew some who are really nice persons but still they have haters even though they don't do bad.

In elementary, high school and even in work places, I knew people making fun of other people, spread rumors about them and I even have some personal experiences myself, and you know what I deal with them and move on from them.The real losers in these kind of situations are the bullies and rumor spreaders because they don't have anything good to do with their miserable lives other than making other people miserable as their own.

Maybe this book are for people who are like Hannah. People who need to breath fresh air or have some hobby to take their minds out of pathetic bullies like the people in Hannah's tape. I mean some of them don't even have direct impact on Hannah, she just uses them as an excuse to end her miserable life, like Mr. Porter at the end (SPOILER ALERT), where she finally seeks for help but use Mr. Porter's words as an excuse finally end it all. She didn't even try to make her life better, she didn't even reach out, talk to her parents or anything. She's just so shallow and I'm sorry for her (or for her kind). I think she's just one of those poor people who surrounded themselves with the wrong people.

I'll give this book 2 out of 5. Maybe some people are like Hannah, so maybe this will be a help for others, a point for that and it made me read all the way through the end in a very short amount of time so another point for that, hence the 2 points.



SUPERJOLA.BLOGSPOT.COM

1 comment:

  1. Hi I need help in Novel Analysis. Can you pls. contact me at 09182265575 thanks.

    ReplyDelete